What is a Professional Year Program?
A professional year program (PYP), also known as a Professional Development Program (PDP) is a program designed to provide work experience to international students and make them job ready. It is only for international students who have graduated from a university in Australia. PY programs run anywhere between 44 weeks to 52 weeks including a 12-week internship which is industrial based training. Computer science, accounting, and engineering are three industries for which government approved professional year programs are offered.
The advantages of completing a professional year program in Australia are:
- Gain an understanding of the work culture in Australia
- Build a professional network in the industry
- Gain work experience in Australian companies
- Improve business and professional communication skills
- Earn 5 extra points towards your permanent residency (PR) application under the Skilled Independent visa
Certain prerequisites have to be met in order to enrol in a professional year program:
- Must be under 50 years of age
- Must have completed a bachelors or masters degree in an Australian university
- The degree should be in computer science, engineering or accounting fields
- Must have at least 12 months remaining on your Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)
- Must have scored at least 6 on each band on the English proficiency test
- To earn points towards your permanent residency application, you must have completed the professional year program within 4 years prior to receiving an invitation to apply for the visa
The professional year program is an excellent resource for recent graduates, especially international students, to gain valuable work experience in Australia.